Aug 2, 2014

GREEN TEA CAKE ROLL

 
On a extremely hot summer day like today, It will be risky for heavy cream to be outside of the refrigerator. The same is true of ice cream, expecially the one I made. I don't know what's wrong with my ice cream that I made without machine(Instead, I used sweetened condensed milk.). But it's not fully frozen and firm. When it got out of the freezer, in 3 minutes, it melts down to liquid state. So I totally screwed up my ice cream cookie sandwich. Homemade ice cream is a long way from me.
 
 
This green tea cake roll saved me from a boiling hot day. While I made this,  I sweated heavily and got red in the face because of the heat of the oven and the piercingly hot weather. It's okay. I can take a shower when the roll is put in the refrigerator. Cool, creamy and sweet with a flavor of green tea. It's like paradise in the desert.
 
 
 
 

GREEN TEA CAKE ROLL
 
yields 1 roll using 33 * 26 *1 cm sheet pan
 
 
Ingredients

for cake
eggs 109g(2 large eggs)
sugar 66g
green tea powder 3/4tsp (You can add more if you like strong flavor of the green tea.)
cake flour 30g
milk 10g
rum 1tsp
 
for cream
heavy cream 150g
sugar 12g
rum 1/2tsp

powdered sugar
 
Instructions

1. Line the baking pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 190℃.
2. Sift green tea powder and cake flour together. Set aside.
3. Combine eggs and sugar in the heat-proof bowl. Bring water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Place the bowl over the saucepan. Stir constantly with a balloon whisk until the mixture is warm to the touch.
4. Remove from heat and with hand mixer or electric mixer beat on medium speed for 5 minutes until pale(almost white) and thick. Beat 1 minute more on low speed to arrange the air bubbles.
5. Sift flour mixture over the egg mixture and gently fold in using a rubber spatula.
6. When all the flour is mixed in, add milk and rum to the batter. Mix until well combined.
7. Pour the batter into the pan. Spread evenly with scraper. Tap on the counter 2 to 3 times to remove big air bubbles.
8. Put it in the oven and bake for about 11 minutes.
9. When it's done, slide the cake on the clean towel. Cool completely.
10. Mix heavy cream with sugar. Over a bowl with lots of ice, beat with hand mixer on low speed until thick. Then I beat with the balloon whisk for 3 minutes more. You can beat all the way through with hand or electric mixer but I prefer finishing with my hands. Add rum and beat until firm.
11. Remove the parchment paper of the cake. Choose which side you will take for the outside. Place the cake on the parchment paper and spread cream evenly.
12. Roll the cake tightly. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set before slicing.
13. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Slice with sharp knife and enjoy this refreshing roll.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment